Thursday, September 3, 2015

Welcome back

It’s time to start Book IV. 


From Horae ad usam romanum, a 15th century prayer book, at the Bibliothèque nationale de France, manuscript 1156B.
 
+

After a brief summer vacation, we’re all back to start Book IV, the final section of Amadis of Gaul. The greatest knight in the world will face new and old foes and ever greater challenges.

Book IV differs in several ways from the earlier sections of the novel, as I’ll discuss farther on. For now, know that the chapters tend to be shorter, so I’ll be posting a translation every Tuesday instead of every other Tuesday. I’ll continue to offer commentaries about the text and the medieval world on occasional Thursdays.

As always, if you have questions or suggestions, please let me know. I hope you enjoy this landmark work in European literature in every way.

Your translator,

Sue Burke

+

No comments:

Post a Comment